Health, Safety, Environment and Quality
SAFETY HEALTH ENVIRONMENT QUALITY CHARTER
In accordance with its Code of Conduct, Total has adopted the following principles concerning safety, security, health, the environment, quality and societal commitment:
- Total holds safety, security, health, respect for the environment, customer satisfaction, listening to all stakeholders by way of an open dialogue, as paramount priorities.
- Total complies with all applicable laws and regulations wherever it conducts its business and supplements them with specific requirements and commitments when necessary.
- Total promotes, among its employees a shared culture, which the core components are professionalism, the rigorous compliance and application of regulations, skills management, incident feedback and continuous learning. This approach relies on the vigilance and commitment of all.
- Every team member, at all levels, must be aware of their role and personal responsibility in the practice of their duties. Individuals must demonstrate the strictest discipline in preventing accidents and deliberate damage; in protecting health, the environment and product and service quality whilst addressing stakeholder expectations. Rigor and exemplarity in these fields are important criteria in evaluating the performance of each member of personnel, in particular for those in positions of responsibility.
- Total favors the selection of industrial and business partners based on their ability to apply policies similar to its own concerning safety, security, health, the environment, quality and societal measures.
- Total implements, for all of its operations, appropriate management policies regarding safety, security, health, the environment, quality, societal commitment and a periodic risk assessment of relevant policies and measures. Any development of a project or launch of a product is undertaken upon full lifecycle risk assessment.
- Appropriate safety, health, environmental, quality and societal commitment management systems for each business undergo regular assessment involving measurement of performance setting milestones, formulating relevant action plans and instituting suitable control procedures.
- Total implements incident response plans and means of intervention designed to face different types of events it may encounter. Such measures are periodically updated and reviewed during exercises.
- Total is committed to managing its energy consumption, emissions in natural environments (water, air and soils), production of final waste, use of natural resources and impact on biodiversity. It develops new processes, products and customer services in order to enhance energy efficiency and reduce environmental footprint.
- Total adopts a constructive attitude towards safety, security, health, the environment and quality, based on transparency and an open dialogue with stakeholders and outside parties. Through its societal commitment, Total is particularly keen on contributing to the sustainable development of neighboring communities, with a focus on human, economic and social issues. It conducts its operations in such a way as to responsibly ensure security, in compliance with the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights.